Vintage Red

Dedicated to Vintage Pattern Reproduction.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

Posted by Carisa |

On a scale of 1-10, how wrong is it name a blog post solely based on a song that is going through your head? Thanks a million Aerosmith, but if you could actually play more than just that one line through my head I think I would be going a bit less mad right now. 

So I am working on a very interesting project for my friend Heather. Heather and I met in Chicago about 10yrs ago when we serving time in retail hell. Before I left for the UK I made her a bitchin' white coat that, well, can only be best described as a lab coat really. As seen in this stellar shot taken in my photography class in London:


So I promised her after I left the UK that I would make her a 1940s replica of a US Military Jacket. I believe she took her inspiration from this scene in For the Boys:


Well, I kinda never got around to it, till last year (5yrs and counting) and then procrastinated. And of course, she has now changed her mind (good thing I was lazy right!) She is now totally into Steampunk, and for those of you that had to look this up like I did,  
"the term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used — usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era Britain — but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date."
  -- Wikipedia

Kinda like this


So now we are on to bigger and better and I have started making this new jacket. As I am SURE I have mentioned (screamed) on previous occasions (all the time) I am by no means a designer, nor do I really like designing. Unfortunately heather totally conned me into it and this is what we came up with.

It will be a dark green, heavy twill, with brown leather belts (anything black on the drawing) There will be a stamp print using vintage pictures on the yolk and one sleeve. All "buttons" are actually brass cogs and wheels that were found online. I'm hoping the fabric freys quite a bit so that I can sew some of the seams on the outside to give it a more weathered look, as well as a copper lining on the inside. I'm not sure you can really see the vision from my poor drawing, but here it is at any rate!


 So I have made a mock-up of the "general idea" and am sewing it together tonight! More picture to follow tomorrow!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

WhimWham said...

Did you use your fashion illustration templates of strangely proportioned women to draw out your design in an artsy/fashion way? I found mine the other day and had a little daydream about fun times whinging about how we hated illustration.

Carisa said...

I used photoshop to draw it :-) I still hate illustration...if only I could draw as well as I picture it in my head, siiigh.

Post a Comment

Subscribe